We aim to make the selection process transparent and fair to all applicants.
The criteria for assessing applications are as follows; you may wish to use it as a checklist when working on your application:
1. Technical evaluation
- Respect of application deadline;
- Completion of all core fields;
- Eligibility for the target group applied (please check the eligibility);
- Eligibility for the level of mobility, whether study, research or staff;
- Inclusion of all requested documents/uploads for application type (only provided templates will be taken into consideration);
- If the previous Erasmus Mundus Action 2 or Erasmus Cooperation Window grant has been awarded to the applicant for the same type (level) of mobility or the applicant has received any previous grant though LEADERS, the applicant will not be eligible.
2. Academic evaluation
- For students we will look at prior learning and performance - e.g. qualification to-date, latest transcript of records and language ability for host university* - entry is subject to the standard admission requirements for the course/subject area advertised by the host university. Every applicant will be assessed on a case-by-case basis;
- For researchers and academic staff we will look at career to-date (CV), list of publications, current researcher and/or teaching and language ability for host university;
- For non-academic staff (support, administrative, professional, and technical) we will look at career to-date current work capacity and language ability for host university.
*Please note that no additional documents are accepted after the deadline, except for additional official language certificates (IELTS etc.).
3. Study/Research/Work Plan and Motivation Statement
Proposed Learning Agreement (for UG/MSc) and Activity Plan (for other mobility levels) at the host university together with your motivational statement will be scrutinised against the priority subject areas of LEADERS (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), subject on offer at the host university and the capacity of the host university to accommodate you.
4. The following criteria will also be taken into account:
- Available scholarships;
- Geographical balance;
- Gender balance;
- Commitment to contribute to the academic network of the Consortium (for Post-Doctorates and Staff);
- Prevention of the brain drain.
Reasons for unsuccessful application:
- Lack of available scholarships per country or mobility level;
- Incomplete application: information or documents required for application are missing (including wrong templates for Learning Agreement/Activity Plan or CV);
- Unfulfilled admission requirements (students): the admission requirements of the university/course/subject area are not fulfilled, including ability in the host language of instruction;
- Poor motivation;
- Profile of applicant does not match the advertised offer and/or capacity of the host university to host the candidate;
- The total evaluation score given by the host university was not high enough to be granted a scholarship: applicants with a higher score are offered the scholarship
- The home Faculty/School/Department does not allow mobility at the time proposed in the application (this may be to do with the stage of your studies or workload);
- The host Faculty/School/Department does not allow mobility at the time proposed in the application (this may be to do with the stage of your studies or workload);
- The requested programme is not available for this project; the programme is no longer on offer or cannot except additional candidates;
- The applicant already obtained a scholarship for the same type of mobility under another project of the Erasmus Mundus Action 2 or Erasmus Cooperation Window
- The applicant has resided or has carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of the European countries at the time of submitting their application to the partnership. This rule does not apply to TGIII candidates. Refers to Asian students only.
0 – Applicant doesn't fulfil academic requirements;
1 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, but supportive documents indicate poor academic performance;
3 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate sufficient academic performance;
5 – Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate average academic performance;
7– Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate above average academic performance;
9– Applicant fulfils academic requirements, supportive documents indicate excellent academic performance and other achievements.
0 – Applicant doesn't fulfil language requirements;
1 – Applicant fulfils language requirements.
Learning Agreement/Activity Plan
0 – Applicant doesn't provide completed and well considered LA/AP.
5 – Applicant provides completed and well considered LA/AP.
Motivation and Recommendation
0 – Applicant doesn't demonstrate motivation to take part in the EM LEADERS project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude;
3 – Applicant demonstrates motivation to take part in the EM LEADERS project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude;
5 - Applicant demonstrates very high motivation to take part in the EM LEADERS project and the recommendation is only confirming the attitude.
Total score is out of 20 points.
1. Applicant must complete an on-line application form and submit it before the deadline announced at the project website. Only fully completed application forms will be accepted. We recommend that applicants indicate a second choice host university, and provide full paperwork for both chosen insitutions, to increase the chance of obtaining the scholarship. Once submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation e-mail with attached PDF file of their application form.
Please notice that applicants who have not chosen second choice institution are going to be assessed by other institution with similar research offer, hso two independent academics could evaluate the academic background.
Applicants for full MSc degree applying to first and second choice institutions, which do not offer full MSc, were not assessed at all.
2. All applications will be technically evaluated to ensure eligibility of the candidates.
3. Application will be ranked according to the criteria given above. However, the host university/ies will has/have the final word in the decision regarding applicant's acceptance. We would like to point out that selected host university has the right to not evaluate applicants choosing that university as a second choice if there are more than five times as many applications as there are places available.
4. Before publishing the final ranking of applicants Coordinator of the EM LEADERS project will take under consideration in order to fulfil EM LEADERS project proposal assumptions as follows:
- Host University and Home University priorities;
- Target Groups;
- Type of Mobility;
- Gender balance;
- Geographical distribution.
The highest ranked will be offered a scholarship.
5. All applicants will be informed by EM LEADERS project Coordinator via e-mail about the results, including selected, reserve list and unsuccessful candidates.
6. Selected applicants have to start their mobility in the host university by the deadline per specific Cohort:
- 1 Cohort by 31st December 2015
- 2 Cohort by 31st December 2016
- 3 Cohort by 31st December 2017